HOME > LINKS > LINKS
Recent projects I've organized:
In 2007, I founded Global Awakening In Action (GAIA), an organization dedicated to raising the consciousness of the planet. Engaging in social action and charity is part of the work we do. Below are some examples of activities we've done here in Toronto.
If you'd like to be part of other upcoming initiatives, sign up at the Global Awakening In Action website.
- Egale’s OUT at Night. On May 30, 2015, GAIA participated in this national fundraising and awareness campaign that invited participants across the country to spend a night outside, briefly experiencing the struggles that over 6000 LGBTQ2S youth experience in Canada every year. Photo link 2015
- Second Harvest's Lunch Money Day. Three years in a row. First on February 17, 2011, then on February 16, 2012, and most recently on February 28, 2013. GAIA participated in Lunch Money Day, which is Second Harvestís annual one-day campaign that asks Torontonians to donate what they would usually spend on lunch. Photo link 2011, 2012, and 2013
- Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Charity Challenge. On October 14, 2012, GAIA participated in the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront 5k Run / Walk while raising funds for Second Harvest. Photo link
- Cover Toronto Blanket Drive. We began this in winter 2010. We collect donated blankets and other warm items and distribute them to homeless people on the streets of Toronto. Photo link
- Kindness Campaign. We began this in spring 2010 and ran it for one year. We published a monthly article featuring inspiring stories based on suggested acts of kindness in Good News Toronto. Photo link, Download link (ZIP 3.1MB)
- Food sorting at the North York Harvest Food Bank. Photo link
Clictivism sites I engage with:
Clicktivism is the use of the internet for facilitating social change and activism. It isn't just the support or promotion of a cause online. It starts online but leads to real changes in the world.
Avaaz is a 31-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making.
SumOfUs is a worldwide movement of people working together to hold corporations accountable for their actions and forge a new, sustainable path for our global economy.
Change.org is the world's largest petition platform, empowering people everywhere to create the change they want to see.
Organizations I fund and support:
Giving is good for you. Studies have shown that giving money away tends to make people happier than spending it on themselves.
Greenpeace is a non-governmental organization for the protection and conservation of the environment. As an independent global campaigning organisation, they are committed to the principles of non-violence, political independence and internationalism, acting to change attitudes and behaviour, to protect and conserve the environment and to promote peace.
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, and to providing the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge. The Wikimedia Foundation operates some of the largest collaboratively edited reference projects in the world, including Wikipedia, one of the most visited websites in the world.
Democracy Now! is a global news and public affairs program. Unlike so much of the corporate-owned mainstream media, Amy Goodman and her team provide independent news and information from the perspective of those most adversely affected and stressed by global events and domestic policy, including the poor, disadvantaged and marginalized, and those living in war-torn areas. The program is funded entirely through contributions from listeners, viewers, and foundations and does not accept advertisers, corporate underwriting, or government funding.